The Government is considering changes to the FOI Act which will make it more difficult to use. Possibilities include:
- imposing charges for requests
- making it easier to refuse requests on cost grounds
- making it more difficult to obtain public authorities’ internal discussions, or excluding some from access altogether
- strengthening ministers’ powers to veto disclosures
- changing the way the Act is enforced.
The FOI Act is hugely useful to campaigners and others, trying to draw attention to issues. If you want to help, it is time to take action. Please take a look at the website link below which tells the full story and has advice on what to do to try and stop the changes. Remember…it was an FOI which discovered the MPs expenses scandal !
The Independent: The end of FoI? ‘Right to know’ in peril as Government targets Freedom of Information
The Guardian: Freedom of Information Act review ‘may curb access to government papers’
The Telegraph: FOI must stay free